However, I know that the cooler, darker weather is just around the corner and many of you will be taking your runs/walks inside so I thought this post comparing indoor and outdoor running/walking might helpful. Enjoy!
Indoor (Treadmill) Walking/Running
- You can do it any time (if you have one in your home) and it very private
- You can walk/run in all kinds of weather (however, you may still need to get to the gym)
- Provides some cushion to support the knees
- Can provide a challenge if you are used to outdoor walking/running
- Equip with tools such calories burned, pace, incline and decline (on some models)
- Are able to read or watch TV during your workout, which can be a motivator
- Can be a costly investment
- Not as convenient if you don't have one at home and are unable to get to the gym
- Walking or running in place can get boring for some people
- The fresh air and exploring the wonderful places in your neighbourhood
- Can be a challenge if you are used to treadmill walking/running
- Able to run/walk with a partner or as a group
- It is free, with no line ups or waiting for equipment
- Achieve a greater feeling of accomplishment (this one is hard to explain, it is like you have actually "been" somewhere)
- Can be weather permitting (although many people get out there, cold, rain or shine)
- Easier to lose track of time as the numbers are not right in front of you
- Not very private
Time for you to weigh in! Indoors or outdoors and why?
Do you find one harder than the other?